The Vagina Monologues
By: Allison Taylor
If the title got your attention, good, it should. The Vagina Monologues is a play written by Eve Ensler, and is based on interviews with over 200 women. The purpose of the Monologues is to raise funds and awareness for anti-violence groups in our local communities in an effort to end domestic and sexual violence against women. 90% of the proceeds from this year’s event will benefit Helpmate of Asheville - which offers crisis-level services for victims of domestic violence and their children. The remaining 10% of the proceeds will benefit the V-Day foundation.
Allison Taylor of WNC Weddings & Events (www.wncweddings.net) and Skillful Solutions (www.skillfulsolutions.net) will be directing, producing, and acting in this charity production for the 5th year. The cast is diverse group of talented ladies, who are predominately from Brevard - and who all graciously donate their time and talents to this event. “Over the past 4 years, I’m proud to say that we’ve raised and donated over $18,000 to local organizations that support those who suffer from domestic violence,” says Taylor.
This is not just a show for women; men are especially encouraged to attend. “These are issues that affect your mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, and friends. Although there are heart-wrenching parts to the show, many of the monologues are absolutely hilarious - and attendees tend to walk away with sore cheeks and stomachs from laughing,” says Taylor.
This production will be held at The Orange Peel in Asheville on February 25th. The doors open at 7pm and the show starts at 8pm. Tickets are available on-line at www.theorangepeel.net, or at the door. Prices are $25 in advance/$35 at the door for General Admission, and $15 in advance/$20 at the door for students. Please remember that 100% of the proceeds from this event go to a charitable cause. The Monologues definitely contain mature material, and it is recommended for ages 17 and up. Anyone age 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Those wishing to make a financial contribution to the cause can donate directly to Helpmate of Asheville (http://helpmateonline.org), referencing “Vagina Monologues”.
For more information, please contact Allison Taylor at 828-553-7718 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.vday.org.
Allison Taylor owns and operates WNC Weddings & Events (www.wncweddings.net), which offers full event planning and coordination resources, and Skillful Solutions, LLC (www.skillfulsolutions.net), which offers corporate consulting, corporate retreat planning resources, freelance writing, and marketing material design.