Downtown After 5, presented by Prestige Subaru, started in 1988 as a small event to bring people to Downtown Asheville and has since grown significantly bringing an average of 5,000 per event to Downtown Asheville. It is a production of the Asheville Downtown Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the preservation and improvement of the central business district.
Downtown After 5 is held the 3rd Friday of the month from May to September. 2020 dates are May 15, June 19, July 17, August 21 and September 18. The 2020 lineup will be announced in late March.
Beer and wine is available for purchase, with a variety of local and regional options. To purchase alcohol, attendees will need to show a valid picture ID and buy a $2 wristband. Each summer the Asheville Downtown Association partners with five local nonprofits to sell wristbands at the event. Each group receives a grant of $2000. The ADA has given more than $100,000 to area nonprofits through this program. 2019 partners will be announced soon.
Lots of local beers on tap including: Pisgah Brewing, Sierra Nevada, Hi-Wire Brewing, Asheville Brewing Company, Catawba Brewing, Green Man Brewery and Bold Rock Cider. Plus local-adjacent: Appalachian Mountain Brewing, Boojum Brewing, Lo-Fi Brewing, Nantahala Brewing Company and Natty Greene’s Brewing. Beer list subject to change.
Downtown After 5 is committed to reducing its impact on the environment and features compostable food and beverage containers and staffed recycling and compost bins. Since implementing its greening initiative, the event has reduced the number of bags headed to the landfill to just a handful.
We recommend using City of Asheville or Buncombe County parking decks. They’re safe, reliable and cheaper than on-street parking. Plus, the first hour is free.
- Civic Center Garage - enter from Haywood Street or Rankin Avenue
- Rankin Avenue Garage - enter from Rankin Avenue or Walnut Street
- Wall Street Garage - enter from Otis Street near Patton Avenue
- Biltmore Avenue Garage - enter from Biltmore Avenue or Lexington Avenue
- Buncombe County Garage - enter from College Street
- On-street metered parking is free after 6pm.
Typically, the opening act hits the stage just after 5pm, and the headliner starts at 7pm.
ITEMS "NOT" ALLOWED
• No pets are allowed in the Downtown After 5 festival boundaries.
• Weapons of any kind
• Illegal substances (including narcotics) or drug paraphernalia
• Outside alcoholic beverages
• Fireworks and explosives
• Bicycles (we provide a complimentary bike corral with Asheville on Bikes)
• Unauthorized or illegal vendors
• Moshing, crowd surfing, and/or stage diving
• Unauthorized solicitations, handbills, sampling, give-aways, etc.
There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer for the many events produced by the Asheville Downtown Association. Find out more about volunteer opportunities here.