Downtown After 5 presented by Harmony Motors
Asheville NC 28801
In 2013, we celebrate the 25th season of Downtown After 5! The event takes place each third Friday of the month May - September on Lexington Avenue at I-240. Special thanks to presenting sponsor, Harmony Motors and Volkswagen of Asheville.
July's event features a well-rounded line up of Ashville's "All-Stars" bringing a mix of both originals and covers with each vocalist leading one or two songs during the set. Here's a list of the featured players:
- Josh Blake (guitar/vocals): Josh Blake's Jukebox, Tuesday Night Funk Jam House Band, GFE
- Woody Wood (guitar/vocals): Blue Rags, Woody Wood and The Ends, Hollywood Red,
- Mike Rhodes (drums): Blue Rags, The Invisible 3
- Phillip L. Bronson (drums): Jonathan Scales Fourchestra
- Elijah Cramer (bass): STRUT, Strange, Josh Blake's Jukebox
- Tony Black (bass): The Artimus Pyle Band and Camp David
- Jeff Knorr (keys/vocals): Secret B-Sides, Tuesday Night Funk Jam House Band, Nuevo Montuno
- Ryan Burns (keys): The Invisible 3
- Ben Hovey (Trumpet/Keys): The Asheville Horns
- Greg Hollowell (sax): The Asheville Horns, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band (retired)
- JP Furnas (trombone): Common Foundation, Dub Kartel
- Jennifer Hockenberry (percussion): GFE
- Debrissa McKinney (sax/vocals): Empire Strikes Brass
- Kellin Watson (guitar/vocals): Kellin Watson
- Marisa Blake (vocals): GFE, Josh Blake's Jukebox
- Stephanie Morgan (vocals): stephaniesid, Crybaby
- Jim Arrendell (vocals): Jim Arrendell and The Cheap Suits, The Business
- Austin Haynes (MC): Free Radio
- Johnnyboy (MC): Free Radio
- Adam Strange (MC): GFE, Strange
- Foul Mouth Jerk (MC): GFE
Opener: Pleasure Chest has quickly become a favorite Asheville band. Their raucous mix of blues and gritty soul with a dash of rockabilly makes for a not-to-be-missed live show. reverbnation.com/pleasurechest
- Kip Veno, vocals, harmonica
- Erich Hubner, guitar (formerly of Man or Astro-Man? fame)
- Will Tocaben, bass
- LukeDogg, drums (also in Shake it Like a Caveman, What it Is, Cary Fridley and Down South, Mimi Bell)
- Garius Hill (played with Bruce Saunders, Pat Petrillo, Troy Millard, Abbey Lincoln, Michael Brecker and many more, opened for Miles Davis for the Cool Jazz Festival series)
- Debrissa, horns, backup vocals (also in Asheville All Stars & Empire Strikes Brass)
- Henry Westmoreland, horns, backup vocals (also in Hank West and the Smokin' Hots, Krektones, Roaring Lions and formerly in Firecracker Jazz Band)
Thirsty concert-goers will find plenty to wet their whistle including local brews from Highland Brewing Company, Pisgah Brewing, Asheville Brewing Company and French Broad Brewing Company. Plus, regional favorites Sierra Nevada and SweetWater Brewing as well as national brands from Budweiser of Asheville and Empire Distributing will be on tap. Wine and water will also be available for purchase.
To purchase alcohol attendees will need to show a valid picture ID and buy a $2 wristband. Proceeds from wristband sales for July’s event support Homeward Bound, working to end chronic homelessness in the Asheville area.
From sandwiches to pizza and ice cream to tacos, food vendors offer a something for everyone’s taste.
Downtown After 5 is committed to reducing its impact on the environment and features a solar-powered stage, complimentary bike corral, compostable food and beverage containers, and staffed recycling and compost bins. Since implementing its greening initiative, the event has reduced the number of bags headed to the landfill to just a handful.
Downtown After 5 is a production of the Asheville Downtown Association, a nonprofit organization committed to the preservation and improvement of the central business district.